Wednesday, July 9, 2014

You never know who's life you're going to save

I'm 38 years old and I have never donated blood.  At my work once a month they have a blood donation clinic set up and I always walked by it and carried on my way however something happened to me on Canada Day that changed the way I think.

In 1994 I was attacked by three guys in Ottawa and stabbed thirteen times. So anything related to hospitals including needles had freaked me out ever since so I avoided donating blood and used this an excuse.

On July 31st my lady went into the hospital to be educed and without going in to too much information she ran in to some problems about 13 hours in to labour and required a blood transfusion after the baby came out.

Here I am the happiest moment in my life with this little angel in front of me and not knowing if the woman in my life behind me on the hospital bed is going to survive to enjoy it with me was the scariest thing I've ever gone through.

She has an apparently rare blood type "Type AB Negative" and for all I know I could even be this blood time I've never checked. If the person who was that blood type had "Just walked by" a blood clinic she wouldn't even be here today.

I would be a single father and not going though the amazing things together we have gone through in the last nine days.

I'm very happy to report that I have an appointment to go to the Canadian Blood Services to donate blood and I'll never walk the setup at work without taking the time to donate blood.

I want to say THANK YOU to the person in Calgary that is blod TYPE AB Negative as you saved a life for sure.

Visit blood.ca for more info 

No comments:

Post a Comment